Saturday, September 19, 2020

Goal Getter

I might be a little old school, but I am a person who loves to write down their goals. I have been told one of my notable attributes is that I am a person whose drive allows me to reach my goals. Now that doesn't mean that I reach those goals exactly how I planned or during my "ideal" time. I write this post now because I have achieved a big goal of mine recently and that is in my efforts of continuing education. I finished this summer with a dual masters in engineering (MIE) and business (MBA). Originally I wanted to pursue my masters in my mid-to-late twenties, but the way I traveled in my previous job overseas and offshore that wasn't really feasible. Instead I obtained my masters in my early-to-mid thirties. I didn't plan on finishing early, but it worked out perfectly and all the hard work paid off to my advantage all under two years. I get the question now what are you going to do with some of your free time or what are your goals now. Well I have a few new goals all of which could change down the road, but for the most part I believe are pretty solid. I also thought I would take a moment to recognize some of the other achievements I have acquired, to remind myself that I have come along way and not to put too much pressure on myself. I have also added side notes that each of these achievements all required hard work and did not come easy. 



Goal I have already achieved: 

- Get my undergraduate engineering degree and do it in four years, I went every summer and had no real breaks to do this. I also took a lot of hours each semester after my freshman year to stay on track. I also had to have some reassurance my freshman year that I could do it because I doubted myself. Going from a small high school where I was very active, participated in sports, and graduate top 10% I thought college would be easier, but it wasn't. Everyone was just as activity and smart or even smarter who attended university. So it was challenging at first to find my groove and believe in myself and try not to play the comparison game.  


Travel - I have got to do this
personally and with work, but it did come at a cost with work at times, when I couldn't plan other things or I would miss lots of holidays due to not having a set schedule when I worked offshore. 


- Obtain my professional engineering license - I did do this in Spring 2017; however, I didn't pass on my first attempt so I had to double down and really study to finally pass.

- Own a home - I have owned several now over the years, the home buying and moving process has always been nerve racking and painful though. My first the loft, second Prince House, the Fixer Upper, and our current home

- Have my wedding at a historic place downtown- I stuck to somewhat of a budget, but wish I did a better job at it. I also wish I didn't feel so obligated to invite so many people. It was a beautiful wedding and I had an amazing honeymoon.

- Start a family - a lot of learning and continuing learning as well as always working on patience. I did it  later than I originally thought, but I believe the timing was right for me in the end. 

- Work as an engineer and constantly challenge myself, still have some work to go on getting out of my comfort zone with certain aspects that I would like to get better at. 
- Obtain my Masters, I completed this year with a Masters of Business Administration and Engineering. I didn't have much of a life outside of work, family, and school, but I did it.

Goals I am pursuing or want to pursue
- Finally get in shape, it's been awhile, I got in shape after I graduated in 2007, but around 2015 started to gain weight and with all the moves, work, grad school, and family the stress and time management just wasn't there for my health. I want to not put it on the back burner anymore. Something that also ties into this is eating healthier. 
- Run a marathon, this has been on my bucket list for a long time, I actually really love running and ran cross country in middle school and high school. 
- Get better with my finances, which includes setting budgets and sticking to them, saving more, and end goal of being debt free. I would love to be like one of those couples that pay off all of their debt in two years, but I don't know if we have that kind of self discipline. Haha - Update 4.2022 was able to pay off everything (grad school loans, Amos's law school loans, etc.) with refinancing our home. So not completely debt free, but a good starting point and more income to put away into savings and home/travels. :) 
- Obtain a doctorate degree, but not for awhile and not until I pay off my graduate degrees (Paid Off 4.2022!). I paid off my undergrad school loans when I sold my loft back in 2014. So that is another deal I made. If I want to continue my education I have to pay off the previous degree/(s) like I did before so as not to just build up a ton of debt.
- In a year or two teach part-time, one requiring not a doctorate, like a mini-mester at a community college. This ties into wanting to obtain a doctorate. I would like to teach part time as an associate professor while I continue to work during the day as a project engineer. I would like to do this for a while until maybe I teach full time around retirement age. 
- Continue to travel, but plan better and do a family trip each year 
- Volunteer, I used to volunteer all the time, but really quit once I started working after college. I would like to get back into this.
- Learn to play the piano and maybe guitar.
- Learn how to speak Spanish fluently, my husband does so I should have a great teacher, right? 
- Build a house from the ground up and go through the whole design process, would even settle with a complete reno job like the inspiration picture to transform our current home. 
- Have a tiny weekend retreat, hopefully around a lake or pond.
- Maybe open up a side business later in life using my creative skills. Love flowers!
- Take small continuing education classes (usually lasting from one day to a week or so) like photography and an editing class, watercolor class, cooking classes (would love to do some overseas like in France and/or Italy). 






No comments:

Post a Comment